Dottie Caplan works in Corporate Affairs for Sanofi. Back in May, Dottie took part in our Biotech 101 course. Here is what she had to say about the course.
Why did you decide to take Biotech 101?
The scientific advancements in biotechnology will dramatically change the healthcare landscape and, while I am not a scientist, it is critical to understand the fundamentals in order to make sense of what is happening in the industry and the implications these changes will have on the future healthcare environment.
What knowledge of biotech did you have before taking this course?
I knew bits and pieces of what is happening in the biotech world but I didn’t understand all the motivations and barriers or the strategic thinking and connectivity that would allow me to really be proactive. I am more confident and prepared to think more strategically about Biotech and what it means for the future.
What was your favorite part of the course?
The hands-on experiments really solidified the material and content of the course. The instructor was highly educated and informed and experienced the biotech world first hand. Being able to see biotech through her eyes and experience was invaluable.
What do you feel you gained from this course?
I am more strategic in my thinking and I can easily engage in a business discussion on biotech with confidence. I view events and news differently because I am able to more readily connect the dots with what is happening and understand the motivations behind the decision making and strategies being implemented.
What would you tell someone who was thinking about taking this course?
This is one of the best courses I have ever taken and you will not be disappointed. It is worth the investment of time and money. You would be hard-pressed to find a course of this caliber anywhere else.
There is still time to register for Biotech 101 on Dec 17th & 18th!
We have also announced our first spring course!
Our members are already familiar with the significant savings they see on lab supplies, office supplies and more through the MassBio Purchasing Consortium, but today we are thrilled to share that individuals at our member companies will soon see great savings too! Early next year we will launch a new Employee Perks program offering special savings and incentives at restaurants, retailers and attractions specifically for the employees of our member companies.
We have a number of companies lined up to participate, but we are looking for a few more before we launch and we need your help! Do you have any favorite local products, services or experiences you’d like to see included in the program? Are you a retailer looking to connect with the local life sciences community? Leave comments here or contact Lauren Perna at Lauren.Perna@massbio.org or 617-674-5100 to get involved!
We look forward to partnering with the retailers in our community to increase their visibility and expand their loyal customer bases while bringing the best deals out there to MassBio members – Stay tuned for the roll out in 2014!
On November 21, MassBioEd worked with Google to host a STEM Expo Night as a Kendall Square Association Third Thursday networking event. The evening celebrated STEM education efforts in the Kendall Square community, featured many fun hands-on science experiments and drew a crowd of about 100 people.
Special thanks to all of our exhibitors, to Google for hosting and providing beverages, to KSA, and to Phoodeez for their generous catering donation!
Thank you to everyone who participated! Here are some of the activities that took place:
The MassBio & MassBioEd teams have plenty to give thanks for this holiday season.
We are thankful for a dynamic, inspiring community of scientists, life sciences leaders, policy leaders, and patient advocates. We are thankful for the work you do each day to ensure our family and friends can lead fuller, healthier lives.
We are thankful for your support of our initiatives as we strive to enhance the life sciences super-cluster so it continues to be an ecosystem that allows and encourages the the development of critical new science, technology and medicines that benefit people worldwide.
We are also thankful for your support of the MassBioEd Foundation and like-minded organizations committed to enhancing science and biotechnology education in Massachusetts and developing the life sciences workforce of the future.
We wish you and your families a happy, healthy Thanksgiving holiday!
On December 6th, MassBio is hosting a FREE full day Biotech Entrepreneurship Boot Camp in partnership with Pepper Hamilton. In this boot camp attendees will learn the nuts and bolts of company building as industry leaders share strategies and tips to transform a technology and innovation into a viable company. Click here to learn more & register!
Confirmed speakers include:
- Edward Berger, Principal at Larchmont Advisors
- Kevin Bitterman, Principal at Polaris Ventures
- John Delyani, Director of Strategic Alliances at NIBR
- Greg Dombal, COO at Halloran Consulting
- Arthur Hiller, former CEO at SciFluor
- Rudi Scheiber Kurtz , CEO at Next Stage Solutions
- Tom Luby, Sr. Director of New Ventures at J&J Innovation Center
- Bill Rosenberg, Executive Director of Commercial Ventures and Intellectual Property at UMass Medical
- Yael Schwartz, CEO at Canterbury Labs and Hygeia Therapeutics
- Monique Yoakim Turk, Associate Director of Technology Development Fund at Boston Children’s Hospital
- 8:00 pm – 8:30 pm: Registration & Networking
- 8:30 am – 8:45 am: Opening Remarks
- 8:45 am – 9:45 am: Assessment and qualifications of technologies as basis for startup – Is it the right time, right technology?
- 9:45 am – 10:15 am: Building the right team
- 10:30 am – 11:30 am: Developing an effective IP strategy
- 11:30 am – 1:00 pm: Buffet lunch
- 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm: Fireside chat (successful startup story)
- 2:15 pm – 3:00 pm: Regulatory/Reimbursement
- 3:00 pm – 3:30 pm: Business plan and pitch deck basics
- 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm: Fundraising process vs. licensing , strategic alliances & partnering
- 4:30 pm – 5:00 pm: Summary & Conclusion
- 5:00 pm – 6:30 pm: Cocktail Reception
To view the full agenda details, click here